Friday, November 18, 2011

Lotus by R.E.M.?

Is this song referring to the Lotus eaters from Homer's The Odessey (I think I have my facts straight), or is it just about drugs? Or both? Or does anyone know what it's really about? Not an important life question, but I'm just curious as to what people think.

Lotus by R.E.M.?
I've wondered that myself and I guess we may never no unless we ask Stipe. But check out songmeanings.net. I've included a link here if you've never heard of it. There's always some other views, etc. and maybe you'll find one particularly useful.





http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?li...
Reply:I think that the song is about an addiction to drugs. But it's comparing a drug addiction to the Lotus Eaters and is using them as a metaphor. It took me forever to discover what Stipe was talking about when he said "I ate the Lotus."


No comments:

Post a Comment