Monday, November 16, 2009

Meditating techniques. Lotus position how hard is this?

I want to start meditation in lotus position. I tried this meditation several times and wonder how you can meditate or concentrate if it is so painfull? Is it healthy? Can I damage my muscles or joints while meditating in this position? I am 30 years old.


I saw today the 16 ears old guy in India who was meditating for 10 months. How is it possible if it is so painfull?

Meditating techniques. Lotus position how hard is this?
It depends on what kind of meditation your doing. The Buddhists usually sit in a lotus position, but it takes a little while to get your muscles and ligaments to bend that far. Yoga is a precursor to meditation. The object is to get the muscles so limber, your body will relax completely. A relaxed body is a healthy body. Next you learn to relax the mind. For that I would suggest mantra meditation. It's the easiest and quickest method for transcending the thinking mind. Why do you want to transcend? When you turn off your reactive mind you float into the realm of expanded awareness, bliss, total relaxation. Sounds too good to be true? Trust me, it happens.
Reply:Personally I recommend AGAINST meditating in any of the lotus positions Full lotus. Half lotus, or quarter lotus (often called the burmese style).





I perfonally recommend the seiza position (where you are sitting on your heels (if possible) if your ligaments are not this supple; place a firm pillow between your feet to raise your buttocks off your heels, or use a seiza bench. Dimensions for a seiza bench are below if you do wood work or know someone who can make a bench for you.





My second choice is sitting in a chair about two or three inches from the back rest (to prevent you from leaning back and falling asleep with both feet flat on the floor.





I do NOT recommend lying down to meditate; because you will more than likely fall asleep and not meditate very much.





Seiza bench dimensions 6 inches wide, 18 inches long. The legs are cut at an angle (7 inches in front, and 8 inches in the back) because you legs will be at an angle with your knees on the floor, and your insteps folded under the bench. Place the outside legs 1 inch away from either edge. This give you room to hold and move the bench.





A lot of people place hinges on the legs so the bench may be folded into a compact area.





You can adjust the length of the legs for your comfort. Personally I use a bench that is 6 inches in front, and 6 5/8ths of an inches in back.





I recommend seiza because you can inhale and exale fully without any stress, and the position is a LOT more comfortable than any of the lotus positions.





The problem with the lotus position is that we here in the west have a tendency to sit in chairs instead of on the floor or ground as they do in the East; and our ligaments and joints become stiff.





If a person wanted to learn meditation in their youth; I WOULD recommend the lotus positions. For the people of old age and middle age; use the seiza or chair position.





It is impossible to still and focus on the mind when you are having to deal with a tired and aching body.





I founded the Lotus Sangha in Ellensburg two years ago, and when I teach people to meditate; I always teach them to use the seiza or chair position.


No comments:

Post a Comment